Copyrighted Material Notice

©2024 Lucia De Giovanni. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited.

May 04, 2017

Road Trip

A while ago, I decided that I was overdue for a road trip - I didn't know where or when, but I was determined to jump in my car and visit my surroundings for a few days.  I needed Nature and to reconnect with my Love (easy... I mean photography).  I packed my backpack, and a couple of days later I get an offer to stay at a beautiful place, do a little photo shoot, and take a few days to myself if I so choose.   Done.

Jumped in my car, headed for Assateague Island, MD, with a few extra clothes, a ton of mosquito repellent, and a joy in my heart I hadn't felt in ages.  You see, I love to travel, like, LOVE it.  As for my equipment, I decided to take my little travel bag with my Fuji X100T, Fuji XT2 and a couple of lenses to test out.  All fit in the Think Tank Photo Hubba Hubba Hiney Bag - I ended up only using the XT2 with the new 16mm 1.4 lens for the whole trip (well, until the end, if you stick around, you'll see why).  

For my scheduled photoshoot, I had my Nikon D5.  I trust it with my work, not gonna risk it.

I arrived to my destination, and fell in love with location, people, birds... all of it.  I mean, look at what was waiting for me. 



I didn't even unload my car, grabbed my Fujis and went for a little hike - I tested out the 16mm and was blown away.  The XT2 with this lens is magic.  












The next day, I headed out to the Island.  Assateague Island National Seashore is a National Park, but if you go during the week, there is hardly anyone there, and you get to hike with your thoughts.  I heard about the wild horses of Assateague from my dear friend Dorinda years ago, and I was really looking forward to running into one or two of these special animals.  I hiked for hours, walked all over, and saw a lot of "evidence" of the horses sharing the same paths, yet, no horse in sight.  Had I traveled in a bad Season?  Were the horses all having a picnic on the other side of the Island?  Nothing.  Not even a sound.  I looked at my map, shaking my head, as I remember the kind Ranger who gave me the map and circled the exact location I was standing on to be THE one where "you can't help but running into a ton of horses" - I saw a chipmunk. Oh well, guess it wasn't my day after all.

So, went to the dock, where a couple of kayakers were enjoying the day.








They were just so happy to be, everything was so quiet and calm... I even approached this seagull for a second, who totally posed for me and just as fast said goodbye.  By the way, I love how this little camera performs.  There was another photographer behind me, with pro gear, huffing and puffing to get to the end of the dock.  I love the fact that this little outfit fits exactly what I need to travel light and still get my shot.  Might not be another photographer's dream shot, but it's what I need to fall in love with photography on a daily basis, so thank you Fuji for once again exceeding my expectations.










When I had my fill of trees and clouds (what?  is there such a thing?), I decided to head over to the beach, take a few photos of the ocean, which is, and always will be, my happy place.



And just when I wasn't even thinking about horses, this is what I saw from the corner of my eye.



There were probably 4 people total on the beach, one of which said I was her lucky charm - apparently she had been waiting for two hours for a sighting.  The thing is, you can see for miles and miles, and two minutes before, they were not there, nowhere to be seen.  I started laughing like an idiot as they strolled right under my nose.  I am one lucky girl.






On my way back from the Island, I decided to stop here, and so glad I did, as this was THE BEST acai bowl I've ever had in my life.  Peanut butter, granola, bananas, all expertly blended into a delicious, filling bowl of goodness.  Highly recommend the Surf Shop.



And if that wasn't enough of a wonderful day, I ran into this.  Awesome


The next day I had such a leisurely stroll to the dock, where someone was playing fetch with a very, very happy dog.  I mean, look at him...






The weekend started with a pleasant walk through the Farmer's Market.




And a nap and a book took care of my Saturday.

On Sunday, a little visit to Berlin, MD was in order - this cute little town is a gem.  You can walk the whole town in 5 minutes, but take your time if you go, so worth it to stop and talk with some super friendly locals.





This is Mac.


The next day, it was my shoot day - took out my big-girl gear and rocked it.  It was emotional, lovey, heart breaking, fulfilling, and maybe one day I will share it... My heart felt so full, and I was left with such great memories of my week that I wasn't "done" taking photos yet.  I think my Nikon needed a little happy hike time as well, although my back was not very happy about it.  But hey, after shooting all week with the Fuji, she was getting a little lonely.... and here's what she captured. 






I am so grateful to photography for bringing me to amazing places to meet incredible people.  Never will I take it for granted... sending Love.

LDG
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. Damn, I love the way you play with colour and perspective.

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig