Copyrighted Material Notice

©2024 Lucia De Giovanni. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited.

January 06, 2017

The Love Project, Revisited

Breaking away from food photography for a minute, to revisit a huge part of my life.

When I first started The Love Project, I had no idea what impact it would have on people.  Phase I was dedicated to a couple's love.  Phase II to single people and their dogs and the bond they share.  Because of my never ending quest to document what real Love looks like, I found this project so very meaningful and a breath of fresh air.  It also taught me a lot about loss.  In the middle of Phase II, my beautiful Elmo passed away, and there are no words that can console a broken heart, especially when that heart is broken in a million pieces by the loss of the only little creature that put it back together when it entered my life.  

Forward a few years, and some of the people who so kindly participated in the project are also feeling that pain.  I never shared Elmo passed in the middle of the project because I didn't want to ruin the energy that simply flowed in each session - it was so happy, real, lovely... But these people have also become my friends through the years, and all I can say is I'm sorry.  I know what you feel, and how your heart seems to break a little more each day.  I only hope you find comfort in the memories and in these silly photos.  I know I wasn't able to look at this photo, his eyes, for a long time, but now I look at it and feel so much love.  How can such a small soul bring Love to life is a mystery... but these photos remind me that Love is real and oh, so worth it.  

So, here's to your broken heart, full of Love.  Because Love, my friends, is the gift that they gave to you, and it's the gift that never dies.









SHARE:

2 comments

  1. I will always be so grateful for the photos you took of me and my little Herschel Irving... he was so sick at that time (not a lot of people knew but the brain tumor and enlarged heart made him pretty much housebound at that point). It was a BIG deal for us to meet you and then for him to sneak a bit of coffee afterwards. I have a photo of him saying hello to the fellthow in the alley that day... but your photo of us.... absolutely a treasure. I wish you could meet our new little love... Marty Leonard... he would steal your heart (and not make you sneeze... promise). Thanks for being such an amazing capturer of Love in All It's Incarnations. We are all lucky to have you to remind us of that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, my Dear - you and Herschel are very special to me indeed... I'd love to meet Marty Leonard and let's see if we can make it happen in 2017! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig